Sambal Ikan Bilis
- 5 medium size shallots, crushed in a pastel and mortar or blitzed in a machine
- 1 Teaspoon of Belacan (Shrimp Paste)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- A handful of dried chilies, seeds removed, soaked in hot water and blitzed in a machine
- 1 heap table spoon chili paste
- 1 Asam Keping (Tamarind Slice)
- 200g of ikan bilis
1. In a pan, add in oil and fry the belacan, add in blitzed onion and garlic and fry until fragrant
2. Add in chili paste and dried chili paste and fry until the oil rises. Add in some water if required.
3. Add in asam keping and salt and sugar and keep frying for at least 30 – 45 minutes until the red chili colour becomes a darker shade. Taste as you go and add in salt and sugar accordingly.
4. Once happy with taste and consistency, add in onion and ikan bilis and mix well.